1.12.2012

Top 20 Anticipated Films of 2012, 15-11




15. Love (dir. Michael Haneke w/Isabelle Huppert)
One half of an older retired music teacher couple suffers a stroke, is paralyzed down one side, and their love is put to the test. Sounds pretty uncharacteristic of Haneke, but I'm looking forward to it based on the strength of previous films (of course) which are some of my favorites. Cache? Anyone? 



14. Stoker (dir. Park Chan-wook w/Mia Wasikowska, Matthew Goode, Nicole Kidman, Dermot Mulrony, Jackie Weaver)
I'll be honest.  I just recently saw Oldboy (and no, I still haven't seen the other two in the trilogy).  I don't know why.  It's not like me to not watch something that's so culturally and critically admired.  And Korean!  Needless to say I kinda loved it.  I saw Thirst when it came out, which is to say, before I saw Oldboy and loved it as well.  I just hope he's able to hold on to his Kooky Korean Kraziness for this film and it's not too Americanized.



13. Untitled Bin Laden film (dir. Kathryn Bigelow w/Joel Edgerton, Jessica Chastain, Edgar Ramirez)
Obviously, this is based on pretty much nothing more than the success of The Hurt Locker.  I had absolutely no interest in that film when it came out and I was basically forced to watch it.  And then I enjoyed it - a lot.


12. Moonrise Kingdom (dir. Wes Anderson w/Bruce Willis, Edward Norton, Bill Murray, Tilda Swinton, Frances MacDormand, Jason Schwartzman, Harvey Keitel)
I went through a phase with Anderson's last 2-3 films where I had almost lost all hope.  I just wouldn't allow myself to enjoy them.  I thought he was repeating himself too much.  I think I'm over that.  I've realized that it's just a near perfectly realized style that, honestly, works very well for him and as much as I try not to be, I'm always very much entertained by his films. 



11. Prometheus (dir. Ridley Scott w/Michael Fassbender, Noomi Rapace, Charlize Theron, Idris Elba, Guy Pearce)
Here's that big budget I promised.  Honestly, I think I'm just looking forward to this one because it looks real cool.  If it's anything like Alien and nothing like Gladiator, that couldn't hurt.

10-6 coming soon!

No comments: