1.11.2012

Top 20 Anticipated Films of 2012, 20-16










Before I even start, I'm going to warn you.  There is one glaring omission from this list.  Without even saying actual titles, I will say that Christopher Nolan is not my favorite director and I think he's highly overrated as an action director. With that out of the way, I must admit that there are some really great looking movies coming out this year and I think my list represents a wide range - everything from small budget indie/foreign films to even a few huge budget event movies.

Inside Llewyn Davis (dir. Coen Brothers), Cogan's Trade (dir. Andrew Dominik), Simon Killer (dir. Antonio Campos), Argo (dir. Ben Affleck), Cosmopolis (dir. David Cronenberg), The Great Gatsby (dir. Baz Luhrmann), and Kiss of the Damned (dir. Xan Cassavetes) were all on the cusp but didn't quite make my very special and important list.


20. The Wettest County (dir. John Hillcoat w/Tom Hardy, Shia LaBeouf, Jason Clarke, Jessica Chastain, Mia Wasikowska, Guy Pearce, Gary Oldman)
Most, if not all, of my choices were made based upon the director and their previous work.  This is a great example of that.  This pick is based mostly on The Proposition (and not quite as much on The Road).  It is the true story of brothers who run a bootlegging gang threatened by authorities who want a cut.


19. Under the Skin (dir. Jonathan Glazer w/Scarlett Johasson)
Again, I was really impressed with Sexy Beast and I may even prefer Birth which I think is really underrated.  This one sounds a little odd, but in a good way.  Johansson is an extraterrestrial sent to earth by a greedy alien corporation?


18. Something in the Air (dir. Olivier Assayas)
Paris in the 70s from the director of Carlos and Summer Hours

17. A Place Beyond the Pines (dir. Derek Cianfrance w/Ryan Gosling, Bradley Cooper, Ray Liotta, Eva Mendes, Rose Byrne, Ben Mendelsohn)
I'm a little conflicted about this one because, while Blue Valentine was probably my favorite film of 2010, I'm a little tired of having Ryan Gosling shoved in my face. And the synopsis of a motorcycle stunt driver committing a crime in order to provide for his wife and child doesn't sound particularly enthralling to me.  Other than that, I'm sure it will be great. 

  
16. A Pigeon Sat on a Branch Reflecting on Existence (dir. Roy Andersson)
I really enjoyed 2007s You, the Living.  Maybe a little more than I should have.  I just have really fond memories connected to watching that one, so I'm really looking forward this one which looks to be similar in tone. 

15-11 coming soon!

No comments: