1.07.2012

Top 5 Anticipated Animated Films of 2012

In order to deflower Mediocre Nostalgia, I've decided to start out with one of my favorite things - a top list!  In fact, I will be doing a series of most anticipated films of 2012 lists.  First up is animated films.

2011 wasn't exactly the best year for animated films (I didn't even bother seeing the latest Pixar release, Cars 2, which is a first for me), but 2012 is looking much more promising.  A year with both an original Pixar story and something from Studio Ghibli can't be wrong.  Most of the films on my list happen to be from very well established animation studios, but that's not to say that there won't be one or two really great smaller films slip in there at some point.  If and when information becomes available for those types of animated films I will most likely feature them here.  In the mean time, my current top five anticipated animated films for 2012 are:





5. ParaNorman/The Pirates! Band of Misfits
I know! I'm already cheating.  This is no way to set precedent.  How will you ever take me seriously after this?  I just couldn't choose between these two.  Even based solely on previous movies by these filmmakers (i.e., Coraline and Wallace and Gromit and the Curse of the Were-Rabbit) these two films should be pretty great.  They also both happen to have really great trailers.



4. The Wolf Children Rain and Snow
This one may not even get a US release this year and that's not even an official US title, but it's from the director of The Girl Who Leapt Through Time and Summer Wars so I couldn't not include it.  



3. Frankenweenie
I think we've all been a little disappointed with Tim Burton lately.  This may be my final hope.  It has so much potential. 



2. Brave
Everyone's pretty excited for this one.  Why not? It's Pixar.  It's an original story, not a sequel.  It has a female lead.  It's almost guaranteed to be super duper.



1. The Secret World of Arrietty
So I may have struggled a little bit with the placement of two and three, but my number one most anticipated animated film for 2012 is a no brainer.  I may be kind of a whore for anything Studio Ghibli does, and I may have a strange fascination for children's stories that feature tiny, palm-sized people.  I don't know what it is.  It's been there ever since I was a kid.  I have a similar fascination with mice-related entertainment.  So.  This looks awesome.  

Next up: Top 5 Anticipated New Television Shows of 2012!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You should definitely watch Arrietty in the in its native language. It's absolutely brilliant.