1.09.2012

Top 5 Anticipated New Television Shows of 2012


Homeland was easily my favorite new show of 2011 and I think that show will continue to be one that I will be really invested in.  Enlightened and American Horror Story were also highlights.  I was really glad when I heard HBO had decided to continue with a second season of Enlightened even though I think I was the only person that watched it.  And when I heard that subsequent seasons of American Horror would feature entirely new story lines and characters, I became even more excited for what the show could become because, let's face it, some of that first season was only as good as it was because it was really pretty crazy awful. With that being said, some of the new shows of of 2012 are looking pretty promising.  My current top five anticipated new shows are:


5. Luck 
I will say that while the horse race themed plot doesn't seem like the most interesting concept, the hype has definitely gotten to me.  I mean, it's HBO.  Plus, it's from David Milch (Deadwood) and Michael Mann.  And Dustin Hoffman and Nick Nolte.  It's got to be decent, right?  Premieres January 29.


4. The River 
This will be another attempt (after American Horror Story) for horror television.  I wouldn't say American Horror's strength is in it's ability to "scare", but this one seems to be more focused on its ability to do just that.  I really like the thought of being scared shitless on a weekly basis with a one hour format.  I'm just not sure if it's possible.  The creator of Paranormal Activity, Oren Peli, will also be using the same found-footage style used in those films.  Premieres February 7 on ABC. 


3. Veep 
Coming in April from the creators of In the LoopVeep stars Julia Louis-Dreyfus as a senator who becomes vice president. Cool.  Also on HBO.  


2. Alcatraz 
What can I say?  I miss Lost.  There's a void and it must be filled.  That is what this show has been created for.  Actually, you know what, Lost wasn't even that great a show.  There.  I said it and it's true.  Anyways, this premieres January 16 on FOX.


1. Girls 
This is from the director and star of Tiny Furniture, which was one of my favorite films of 2010 so I have high expectations for this one.  I just hope that it's closer in tone to that film and HBO doesn't try to make it into some weird Sex and the City replacement.  They wouldn't do that would they?  Premieres in April.

Next up: Top 10 Anticipated Films of 2012!  

No comments: