1.24.2012

Must See Bands of SXSW 2012 - Charli XCX



Seven weeks to go...


Charli XCX
I previously made a brief reference to the fact that there will be a lot of electronic acts at SXSW this year. If I may be a little more specific; SXSW will be heavy on the chillwave and all of the sub genres that have have come after it. Not much can be said that hasn't already been said on the subject of chillwave.  It isn't exactly the most beloved of music genres and it hasn't exactly been my favorite.  Generally, I thought this past year was a pretty poor year for music and I feel that this particular genre is to blame for much of that. So much of it is just so banal and saccharine and desperately needs to be pushed to more extreme levels in order to be interesting. Most artists have failed to do this.  Some have succeeded. Charli XCX has succeeded with...well, one or two songs really. So yes, I'm basing all of my expectations on a couple songs, but even with this limited output she's been able to push the boundaries of this genre just far enough to make something pretty damn good.  Granted, technically this probably isn't even considered chillwave, but I don't think it would exist without the genre. It's got a dark-goth-pop edge to it that I enjoyed and I'm looking forward to seeing what else she has to offer.

Nuclear Seasons (dir. Ryan Andrews)

No comments: