1.16.2012

Top 20 Anticipated Films of 2012, 5-1



5-1 are as follows:


5. Provizoriu (dir. Cristian Mungiu)
Christian Mungiu's 4 Months, 3 Weeks, and 2 Days stayed with me way longer than most films do and that's always a mark of something great. Set in a Romanian convent, this is the story of a 23 year old girl's love for a girl inmate.


4. Like Someone in Love (dir. Abbas Kiarostami)
I just recently watched Certified Copy so it's very fresh on my mind. It was my first Kiarostami film and I plan on catching up on older films from the director very soon. I'm looking forward to this one in particular because while I enjoyed much of what Certified Copy had to offer, for some reason I felt very much as if I were on the outside looking in.  I found that I had a hard time relating to that particular couple's story. I don't think that's any fault of the filmmaking. This film, on the other hand, features a younger lead and a story set in Japan.


3. Django Unchained (dir. Quentin Tarantino w/Jamie Foxx, Christoph Waltz, Kerry Washington, Leonardo DiCaprio, Samuel L. Jackson, Kurt Russell, etc., etc., etc.)
I don't think there is a more universally admired director right now than Quentin Tarantino and the story of a freed slave joining up with a German bounty hunter to track down his wife from her plantation owner sounds extremely promising.


2. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (dir. Peter Jackson w/Martin Freeman)
Nerd alert! I loved Lord of the Rings and I can't wait for this. That is all.  


1. The Master (dir. Paul Thomas Anderson w/Philip Seymour Hoffman, Joaquin Phoenix, Amy Adams, Laura Dern)
Anderson is, after all, my favorite working director.  There Will Be Blood is a masterpiece. And this story that has strong ties to the founding of Scientology couldn't sound more interesting.

No comments: