1.13.2012

Top 20 Anticipated Films of 2012, 10-6




10-6 are as follows:


10. Only God Forgives (dir. Nicolas Winding Refn w/Ryan Gosling, Kristin Scott Thomas)
Like I said, kind of over Ryan Gosling for the moment, but I'm still all about Nicolas Winding Refn (Drive).  And considering Southeast Asia is my current dream travel location, pretty much anything set in any Asian country, I get really excited about.  This is a revenge story about a gangster living in Thailand where he runs a Thai boxing club as a front for his family's drug smuggling operation.  This one is supposed to be pret-ty crazy.


9. Laurence Anyways (dir. Xavier Dolan w/Nathalie Baye, Melvil Poupaud)
I sometimes feel that the style/substance ratio that I personally enjoy most in a film can sometimes lean a little too much towards style.  Based on this director's previous film Heartbeats, which I loved, Dolan may become a very good example of that for me.  Heartbeats was great and I even related to certain parts, but it was definitely heavy on style.  Screw it, I hope Laurence Anyways is just as indulgent.


8. Gravity (dir. Alfonso Cuaron w/Sandra Bullock, George Clooney)
This is the second sci-fi movie on this list. Weird.  I was just in awe of how Children of Men was filmed, Y Tu Mama Tambien is one of my favorite films of all time, and even Prisoner of Azkaban was the best of the Harry Potter movies.  This one is about two astronauts on an emergency return home after an exploding satellite accident. 


7. The Grandmasters (dir. Wong Kar-Wai w/Tony Leung, Song Hye-kyo, Chang Chen, Zhang Ziyi)
An action film (his first since Ashes of Time) from Wong Kar-Wai about Ip Man, the man who trained Bruce Lee.  What else do I need to say?


6. Untitled (dir. Terrence Malick w/Ben Affleck, Rachel McAdams, Javier Bardem, Barry Pepper, Olga Kurylenko, Jessica Chastain, Rachel Weisz, Michael Sheen, Amanda Peet)
Who knows how certain that cast is, but if all of those actors make into the final cut - craziness.  You may have noticed that I didn't do a 'best of 2011' list because I've been more focused on looking forward, but if I had, Tree of Life would have been sitting somewhere around the three spot.

5-1 coming soon!

No comments: