1.23.2012

5 Best Films Set in Texas



I feel the very best about my home state of Texas when it's represented favorably in film. Otherwise, I'm ambivalent. I feel that the following films represent a wide range of some of my favorite aspects of the state. Friday Night Lights (not the movie) would probably be #1 if it only met the technical requirements of the list. I miss that show so much.


5. Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada 2005 (dir. Tommy Lee Jones)
The border patrol issue, in my opinion is a major point of embarrassment not only for the state of Texas, but the entire U.S. This film is my favorite portrayal of the Texas side of the conflict.


4. No Country for Old Men 2007 (dir. Joel and Ethan Coen)
I just think that this is the best, most exciting story ever told in a film set in Texas.


3. Death Proof 2007 (dir. Quentin Tarantino) 
Of all the great Tarantino flourishes represented in this film perhaps my favorite section is the more carefree first half where the focus is on the group of girls just hanging out in a dive bar in Austin taking shots and drinking Shiner. That is a Texas I'm very much familiar with.


2. Tree of Life 2011 (dir. Terrence Malick)
I may not have grown up in the 50s, but that sense of nostalgia Malick created for growing up in a Texas neighborhood around other kids and spending summer evenings getting into trouble was extremely palpable for me.



1. Paris, Texas 1984 (dir. Wim Wenders)
As far as pure Texas cinematography there is nothing better than Paris, Texas - from the desert landscapes to the sparse highway system and the city skylines. I don't think it's coincidence that it took a German director coming in from the outside to take notice of Texas' unique landscape like no other directer ever has. 

No comments: