1.24.2012

Chuck Norris: Icon




My brother and I had Sidekicks on VHS when we were kids and we watched it on a continuous loop. We rented Three Ninjas every time we had a chance. Of course, I'm very much aware that both of these movies borrowed most of what they had to offer from The Karate Kid (and did so rather poorly) and also that they were brought on by the popularity of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. They weren't great movies, but martial arts films aimed towards children were a big deal in the early to mid 90s. Our interest in martial arts was no exception. We even took karate classes for several years.




Chuck Norris, the star of Sidekicks, has been in the news a lot lately.  Well, a lot for him and the current state of his non-career anyways.  He has endorsed Newt Gingrich, because for some reason an endorsement from Chuck Norris means something in our current state of politics. Mr. Norris was also recently the supposed reason behind Expendables 2 shooting for a PG-13 rating. I couldn't care less about this movie or its rating as I didn't see the original film nor do I plan on seeing its sequel. I just find it interesting and maybe a little sad that this childhood icon (yes, really) of mine has become the representative of conservative Republican values for the state of Texas. I've known for many years now that Chuck Norris isn't a perfect man. I'm not sure at exactly what moment I came to this realization. I do know that it was sometime pre-Conan O'Brien Walker, Texas Ranger lever. It was similar to that moment when you realize that your parents aren't perfect. But. 


Come on Chuck, get your Jesus boner out of my eye.


No comments: